March 25, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
The Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute (HEMI) and the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) are pleased to announce the Semester Artist/Designer in Residence. The goal of this artist/designer in residence is to bring MICA and JHU faculty together to collaborate and explore ways to represent, visualize, and/or interpret HEMI research. Visual representations of HEMI research can include, but are not limited to:
- Data visualization
- Interpretation, translation, and/or effective communication of large amounts of data
- Response to research regarding HEMI ‘extreme’ events, collaborations, interdependent systems through:
- Storyboarding and narrative
- Graphic Design and graphics
- Interactive arts or products
- Information visualization
- Sculptural forms or materials
The semester in residence is expected to take place in either the fall semester from late August – December 2019 or the spring semester from January – May 2020.
Current MICA full-time faculty and part-time faculty who have taught nine credits per academic year for the past two consecutive years are eligible to apply for this semester in residence.
- Title Page – Include proposal title, faculty name and contact information (email and phone numbers)
- Curriculum vitae of the faculty member
- Portfolio of relevant work (include images or link to website)
- Narrative – Not to exceed three pages. The narrative should address the following:
- Describe the research or work you intend to pursue as part of this semester in residence
- Describe the materials, methods and/or types of representation you intend to use for the exploration.
- Identify the goals and objectives for the project. What do you hope to achieve?
- Project Timeline (including deadlines and evaluation)
- Description of what you anticipate will be the final deliverable(s)
- Name(s) of the JHU faculty with whom you will be collaborating. For reference, a list of HEMI faculty can be found here.
Proposals are due by 5PM on Monday, March 25, 2019. Please email the proposal as a single PDF document to Jessica Ader ([email protected]).